Sunday, March 13, 2011

Fearless Females, March13, 2011: Moments of Strength?

Thank you to Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist , for this always interesting and evocative month long series about the Fearless Females of our past.  The instructions for this day are as follows:
March 13 - Moment of Strength: Share a story where a female ancestor showed courage or strength in a difficult situation.

Moments of Strength - A phrase that has rattled around in my brain today. I went down the list of female ancestors, one by one, and found that strong-willed women people my past. But I am not sure that strong-willed necessarily equates into strength. However, it is the McPherson women, particularly my aunts, that seem to best represent moments of strength to me. They have little in the way of subterfuge -- "what you see is what you got" is a favorite saying of theirs.

These women are absolute in their support and care of family. When my grandmother passed away, my aunt who was a beautician would let no other "fix" her mother's hair; so my grandmother went to her grave with lovingly coiffed hair -- most likely sprinkled with a few glistens of tears. The McPherson aunties take care of one another, even to their dying death. With the same love and care, they take care of their spouses and children to their last breath. They never waiver from their duty and love. These aunties of mine are role models and have taught me, both when I was a child and now as an adult, the meaning of family --- the meaning of "I've got your back."

I pray for these moments of strength, and not to be just strong-willed, for I too am a woman of the clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment