Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fearless Females, March 8, 2011: My Mother's Address Book

 Thank you to Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist , for this always interesting and evocative month long series about the Fearless Females of our past.  The instructions for this day are as follows:
March 8 — Did one of your female ancestors leave a diary, journal, or collection of letters? Share an entry or excerpt.


My mother was a list maker -- and lists were made to be thrown away upon completion. Those lists would have been like a diary, but now gone as she is gone. However, I do have her address book stashed away in a box or a drawer or closet. I always liked to sit at the bar in her kitchen and peruse her address book. A history of her life and the people that she knew or had known. She never purchased a new address book; if she ran out of space, she tucked in additional pages, envelopes, addresses on scraps of paper, or even a napkin or two. Family or friends that often moved had a page, or pages, just to keep track of where they had been and were. For those family members or friends who had died, she summarily "X"ed out their names. Her address book reflected her history for more than 50 years. I do need to ferret out that address book as it is the history of my siblings and me as much as it was her history.

1 comment:

  1. I have a very hard time tossing out old address books. Mine or otherwise. All kinds of hidden hints waiting to fall out the next time you look.

    ReplyDelete