Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fearless Females, March 6, 2011: Agnes Laura's Brooch

Thank you to Lisa Alzo, of The Accidental Genealogist , for this always interesting and evocative month long series about the Fearless Females of our past.  The instructions for this day are as follows:


March 6 — Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)


Agnes Laura Sigford's Brooch
My Grandmother Sigford did not often wear jewelry, but this pin is the only piece of jewelry that I ever saw her wear.  If I were going to be absolutely correct, I would have to say that I never saw her wear it.  However, not long after the pin came into my  possession, I noticed that she wore this pin in the only formal picture taken of her and my grandfather Frank.

circa 1940, Frank and Agnes Laura Sigford
Now that there is no one left to ask, I am consumed by questions.  Although the pin appears to be gold-plated, it appears to be hand-made with her first and middle initials flanking the "S" for Sigford.  My grandparents never had much money, so my grandmother would never spend money on an extravagance of a pin.  I considered the possibility that it was a gift from one of her children, but I was certain that there would have been big-time bragging rights so that I would have heard about it.  The last possibility is that my Grandfather bought the pin for his "Pet," as my grandmother was called as a child. Was it a wedding gift? Or just a show of affection later in life?  As I remember them, my grandparents were never outwardly affection, so I rather like the possibility that Agnes Laura received this pin as a gift from her husband.  This seems to be an excellent working assumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment