Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fearless Females #7 Grandmother McPherson's Pineapple Upside Down Cake

My mother told me that her mother-in-law, my Grandma McPherson, made the best cakes she had ever tasted. My father's favorite was Grandma's Pineapple Upside-Down cake. Mother and my McPherson Aunties collaborated on this recipe, which was included in my 2004 Cooking Up Memories cookbook.

Melt 2 TBS of butter in a cast-iron frying pan*, then cover the bottom of pan with brown sugar (1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar) On top of this places slices of pineapple with a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. Cover the bottom of the frying pan with pineapple slices and cherries. Pour the following cake batter over the pineapple mixture in the pan:

Stir together 1 C flour, 2/3 C sugar, 3 tsp. baking powder and 1/8 tsp. salt. Then melt 1/3 C butter in a 1 C measuring cup, add two eggs and fill cu with milk. Add to dry ingredients and mix along with 1 tsp. vanilla. Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees.



* Any oven proof pan or baking dish can be used. I love the thought of baking this yummy treat in a cast-iron frying pan, just like my Grandma did.

1 comment: