Saturday, December 5, 2009

Advent Calendar December 6 COG: Letter to Santa

Dear Santa,

I have been a very good girl this year (perhaps, the old gentleman is a bit forgetful, and won't remember that it has been many decades since I wrote my last letter to him), I only have one wish. It is a very special wish. I really, really, really want a copy of old James Peter McPherson's diary. You know the one, that goes back to 1842; the one where he list how much the fare for "canue boats" on the Erie canal cost. O, please, you've got to remember the diary, its the one where James Peter was Justice of the Peace for Dane county and listed all the marriages he performed. I know that you might not think that I would be interested in how many hours Uncle worked, or Jim dragging the grain, or how many loads of sand and water went to building the school house, but I really am. O, please, that is all I really want for Christmas -- a copy of JP's diary. I will even be a very good girl next year, if I can just get a copy of that diary.

By the way, milk and cookies will be laid out for you -- just like decades ago -- and I am a much better cook nowadays.

Yours truly,

Joan

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes on receiving your request, oh how fun that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Santa post! (Let me know if creative begging and bargaining works for you and I'll try it next year!)

    I see a kindred spirit in your writing as well and your writing touches me as well, and I so appreciate your comments. Unless you are younger than I by far, I'm guessing we're closer in age than you think! Besides, I kind of think that after 30 and up till about 90, age doesn't matter as much!

    And McPherson for a surname! Do ye suppose they lived anywhere near the McGinnis' family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Christmas wishes on receiving the diary! Wouldn't that be a wonderful find?

    ReplyDelete